Newcomer Welcome Program –
We want YOU to have a great time!
Swing Fling offers a special welcome program just for first time attendees, to introduce you to new friends, answer your questions, and support you and your dancing as you join the immersive fun of our weekend west coast swing event. The Newcomer Welcome Program includes tailored workshops and a social track with specialized attention to your needs at your very first convention weekend with us. Swing Fling is a huge party where everyone is welcome!
Here’s what you should do for your first time at Swing Fling:
Register for a weekend “EZpass” [on the weekend passes menu] and add the “Newcomer Welcome Program” [on the Separately Ticketed Sessions menu]. Consider adding a Newcomer Jack & Jill contest too.
Reserve a hotel room at the Hyatt Regency.
Entry into the popular main ballrooms for ALL contests and pro shows, AND four nights of all-night social dancing are all included in your weekend pass.
Newcomer Welcome Program includes:
- Skill-building L1 workshops, to improve your west coast swing dance skills under the guidance of specially selected national-level teachers.
- Newcomer Program Orientation (4pm Friday) & Closing sessions (1pm Sunday)
- Social Dance Success “How to find partners, have fun & make friends while dancing” (7pm Friday)
- “Newcomer” seating area in the main ballroom for all shows & social dancing.
- welcoming team of experienced “Swing Fling Mentors” ready to meet you, dance with you, and answer your questions all weekend long
- A friendly warm-up session for people who enter the $5 newcomer Jack & Jill (you must register separately, in advance, for that contest) and anyone else who’d like to join (11am Saturday)
- Small group open dancing and “meet & greet” social opportunities
- cohort of other friendly event first-timers who can’t wait to meet you and have fun all weekend together!
You should plan to arrive at Swing Fling comfortably before Newcomer Orientation (4pm Friday). If you arrive as early as Thursday night, consider taking the “WCS 101” session or joining some of the pre-weekend social dancing in the main ballroom. Pack or bring:
- Comfortable shoes to dance in; or you can buy shoes at the event!
- Lots of changes of clothes.
- A water bottle & some snacks.
Your enthusiasm for learning new things & meeting new people & embracing new experiences!
Welcome to Swing Fling! We hope you’ll love it here.
→ Yes! We need friendly faces to be Swing Fling Mentors for our new friends as we welcome them to our event. Contact Kay to volunteer to help.
Join us on Facebook! A group has been set up just for participants in this program.
WCS 101 is a special program offered Thursday night for beginners and brand new dancers. It’s a 2 hour session to learn the basics and meet other newer dancers. It’s followed by a 30 minute practice dance session hosted by the instructors and populated with some friendly and experienced dancers. The admission is $15 at the door, or included in any relevant pass, and includes the rest of the Thursday night party in the large ballroom.